Saturday, September 21, 2013

Author's Purpose

I don't know where the time goes!
We're getting ready to start our unit testing and I am so proud of my kiddos!
I have to say this now, because they've really learned a lot of vocabulary, reading strategies, and sometimes, testing doesn't always reflect their knowledge.

We've been working on author's purpose.
I don't really care for the way our program teaches author's purpose, so I thought I'd use the Pinterest friendly PIE method.
But instead of yummy smelling pies, we used the stinky, smelling feet. Feet?!
What do feet have to do with the reason author's write?
Well, of course, not much, but the acronym is the same: to persuade, to inform, and to entertain.
In Spanish, PIE is a foot.
My kiddos laugh, of course we don't really want to smell stinky feet, but let's see what it stands for:

And of course the first one is the hardest one to teach.
We spent a whole day just on persuasion.
We talked about the power of commercials and bring in my pumpkin spice latte, (finally a good reason to drink coffee ;)
And then work on a little project.
Ask my kiddos what is persuade/persuadir?
Persuadir: convencerte de cambiar tu opiniĆ³n.

I uploaded a lil' unit in Spanish at my TPT if you're interested 
For now, let me know if you this freebie works for you :)

Adios amigos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment