Saturday, June 23, 2012

What I Learned In Kindergarten

I'm beyond excited about going to First Grade, but I wanted to share some things my Kinder Kids taught me during my years in Kindergarten.

Kindergarten is such an important time in a child's life.
Parents are undoubtedly a child's first teacher,
but as their first teacher in elementary school, it's our job to make sure we teach our kids all the basics.

How to line up and walk down the hall (Kinders really are amongst the best hall walkers).
How to sit, push in chairs, line up.
How to sneeze and cover up like a vampire.
How to:
wash your hands,
talk, not yell,
share, not grab,
follow directions,
and the all time biggy,
how to LISTEN.

All while teaching our Kids the Kindergarten curriculum,
Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Math, Science, Social Studies, Health, Music, and P.E.
Whew!  I'm already tired just thinking about it!

I learned that every child does not have to complete the same class or homework assignments,
differentiation is important at home and at school.
I would rather have some students learn all their letters or numbers,
instead of completing a worksheet.

I learned that teamwork really does begin with the teacher.
I had an incredible Kinder Team last year,
I will miss these ladies :(

I learned that Kids love, no require, routine.
I never heard the end of it if I skipped centers or calendar time got interrupted.

But I really learned the meaning of patience in Kindergarten,
...exhale...
exposure is not mastery.
We sometimes have to teach, reteach, revisit, reteach, and oh yeah, reteach.

Kuddos to Kinder!
Here's a freebie I hope you can use :)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. I love kindergarten but I don't think a lot of the other grades realize what kindergarten students do. They have so much to learn in one year besides just academics. Oh, and I love how you tell your kids to cover up their sneeze like a vampire. So cute!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete