Monday, January 14, 2013

Vocabulary

Our district uses Treasures (Tesoros en español).
One thing I really like about this program is the focus on vocabulary.
Each week we're supposed to introduce 5-6 new words, (I'll just say that some weeks are better than others ;)

This is how I teach my kiddos new vocabulary.
I first introduce the word using kid friendly terms with a hand motion.
My kiddos are pretty good now and help me out with the motions.
When I say the word, my kiddos repeat the word and its meaning:
(teacher) Imitate
(students) imitate, means to copy
Throughout the day, whenever I say Imitate, my kiddos will do the hand gesture and say "Imitate means to copy.

I teach a dual immersion classroom, so for me it goes more like this:
(teacher) imitar
(students) imitar es copiar.

Below you'll see how I initially had my kiddos record the unit's vocabulary words.
Agotado, muy cansado.  (exhausted, very tired)
Practicar, es hacer algo muchas veces para mejorar. (Practice, to do something many times to improve)
Energía es mucho ánimo. (Energy, vitality)
Aren't their drawings just too cute?

I'm now using this format, similar to one I used when I taught 2nd grade.

Clicky here if you'd like a copy and let me know if it's useful for ya. :)

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of them having a book to add their words. I know I want to intro vocab in a different manner. I would need to modify for 3rd but this is great! I would love a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Do you do this whole class or set this up as a center?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used it in a center or also as independent activity before students go to centers :)

      Delete